Jun 29, 2016

Tastings from the Cellar: Aged Gao Shan Hung Shui 2010 (Tea Masters)




I bought this tea from Tea Masters in 2010 I think, and back then it was a delicious young little thing, although a bit light on the oxidation and roast.
The dry leaves have a faint scent of aged oolong, but fresh fruitiness is still going strong at the background.

At first the infusion seems to portray only youthful milkyness and some roastedness. It is not until I approach the bottom of the first cup that the fragrance truly comes alive. There is a mild vegetable scent as well as delicious fruity and caramel notes.


This Hung Shui still has a clear and light taste, which does seem a bit deeper than younger High Mountain oolongs, but it does not feel particularly aged. At first the floral aftertaste seems weak and leaves me dissapointed, but as the aftertaste gains strenght, I understand the taste is only now starting to shine. I can distinguish roasted, nutty, and fruity notes.

Luckily this tea does not show signs of sourness or bitterness, but I feel the tea might be going through "difficult times" in terms of its aging process. Even though the second infusion is darker and a little bit more flavourful, it seems to lack mouthfeel, structure, and sweetness. It could be interesting to try and roast this now, maybe it would push the tea forward. But I am too lazy for that right now, so back to the cellar it is, and I will taste it again in a few years.


No comments:

Post a Comment