Jul 5, 2016

Daughter of the Forest Dian Hong 2016 (Global Tea Hut)



global tea hut, dian hong, red tea, hong cha, yunnan, wild, old, black, review

Area: Ai Lao, Yunnan

Produced by: Ku Chuong Aboriginals

Altitude: ~2500 meters

I have tasted Dian Hong multiple times and of different grades, and honestly I have to say each time it has been a disappointed. Compared to some other gongfu hongcha out there, Dian Hong usually just has this malty and boring taste which I find quite disgusting.

As soon as I smelled the leaves of tthis "Daughter of the Forest", I knew I was in for a treat, however. The fragrance of the leaves is fresh and intensely fruity with almost no maltiness. I suspect this is due to Global Tea Hut members rolling the leaves a bit lighter when they produced the tea themselves. Thus I think this hongcha might be actually closer to 2nd flush Darjeelings than most Dian Hong. Suits me!


global tea hut, dian hong, red tea, hong cha, yunnan, wild, old, black, review

Then the fragrance of the first infusion hits me and for a second I think I was gravely mistaken. The maltiness is present as usual, but luckily quite as strong as in those Dian Hong teas I have grown to hate. Rather the aroma is reminiscent of Oriental Beauty, 2nd Flush Darjeelings or certain gongfu hongcha. It is fruity, even floral, and softly malty.

And the greatest thing of all, there is none of that fuzzy maltiness present in the mouthfeel or the taste. The taste is clear and a multitude of fruity/floral flavours rise to to the palate after my first sip. I could very well see myself drinking this kind of Dian Hong more often.

Good job Global Tea Hut friends!

If you do not yet know about the movement called Global Tea Hut, they run free tea centres in Taiwan, publish a cha dao magazine and send it out with some amazing tea samples each mont for those who contribute to the cost of the centre. I highly recommend you to check their website out here: Global Tea Hut


No comments:

Post a Comment